Nashville, Tenn. - A duplex fire started by a candle in Hermitage left a grandmother with second degree burns. It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Monaco Drive while Donda Davis was babysitting her five grandchildren. The kids had put bed sheets up in one of the bedrooms to make a tent and put a candle underneath it. When their tent collapsed, the sheets caught fire. The grandmother was able to get all of the children out of the duplex but went back in to try to put the fire out.
"I was trying to put it out with my hands. I thought I could put it out and all of the sudden it just spread real bad and I couldn't get it out. " said grandmother Donda Davis. She was treated for second degree burns on one of her hands.
When the parents arrived they were shocked but glad that no one was hurt.
"We got here and thankfully all the kids were sitting at my neighbors. They were sitting on the front porch. They were okay so the stress level went down a lot," said Joey Davis, the father of the children.
The family did have homeowners insurance so they should be able to replace all that was lost in the fire.