CHEF TIM PORTER / Mt. PLEASANT GRILLE
· 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
· 1 cup of sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon of salt
· 1/4 cup of cornstarch
· 2 large containers of whipped topping.
· 2 tablespoons margarine
· 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
· 4 egg yolks, beaten
· 5 cups of whole milk
· 8 bananas sliced
· Banana bread squares
This recipe starts with a loaf of your favorite store bought or homemade banana bread.
Slice the bread into small pieces approximately 2 inches square and 1/4" thick. You will use this in place of the traditional vanilla wafers.
Begin by preparing the custard as follows:
1. In a double boiler over simmering water, combine eggs, milk, sugar, constarch and salt.
2. Stir constanly and cook until thick, approx 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and margarine. Keep custard stirred occassionally until cooled.
4. After custard cools, place one container of whipped topping in a mixing bowl.
5. Start mixer on low and slowly add the condensed milk.
6. Increase speed and whip until fluffy.
7. Fold into the cooled custard by hand with a spatula.
Note: The second container of topping is reserved to top the finished pudding with.
8. Place a layer of banana bread pieces in a large glass serving dish.
9. Top with a layer of pudding mixture, then top with a layer of sliced bananas.
10. Repeat all 3 layers.
11. When complete, top with the remaining container of whipped topping.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.